Friday, June 29, 2018

North Shore ~ day 3

Well, the weather wasn't as happy this morning.  We woke up to this...




It wasn't as bad as it looked, but did make for an indoor day.  At least half of it.  We were really glad that we spent most of yesterday outdoors because the rest of the week might be rainy.  But we made the most of it...I actually didn't mind spending half the day in our room.  We invested in a nice suite so we could enjoy it...and we really do.  We spent the morning lounging in our comfies and watching Food Network.  Vince went up to Coho Cafe and got some pastries and fruit for us for breakfast while I cuddled under a blanket with the window open listening to the waves.  
I will never, ever tire of it.

Vince decided to drive back up to Grand Marais and check out the Voygeur Brewery, which made him happy, and Beth's Fudge Shoppe, which made his wife happy :)


It's seriously some of the best fudge I've ever had! So creamy and delicious. And oh, looky there, they mail it!  Dilema for what to buy me for my birthday/Christmas/Valentine's Day/Mother's Day/Anniversary/anyday = solved.


While Vince was gone doing his own thing, I had no problem occupying myself which consisted of coffee, a nap, blogging our trip, some devotions and journaling.  




The realities of traveling with a high(ish) maintenance wife:

His stuff...                                       Her stuff...

    

His stuff...


Her stuff...


So, the weather did clear up this afternoon, but it remained a bit chilly.  Vince brought back a sweatshirt for me.  I love the colors!





When preparing for our trip, I didn't think about the change in temperatures and I packed exactly one long sleeve shirt.  So, if it seems like I am wearing the same outfit every night in our dinner pics, it's because I am.


Tonight we decided to drive a little north of Lutsen to Cascade Restaurant.  
It had an Irish Pub / frontier feel with a fishing flare.  





It really didn't matter where we were because I had the best date ever...




...and the best patty melt I think I've ever had!  It had caramelized onions, swiss cheese, thousand island and this thick, awesome marble rye bread.  If it wasn't burnt around the edges I would have eaten the whole dang thing.  


Vince's meal, on the other hand, was not so great.  Cold fried chicken and mashed potatoes were less than appetizing, so we ended up leaving - the manager took Vince's meal off our bill and gave me a complimentary piece of berry cheesecake, which was totally worth the burnt edges.  

On the way back we photographed these amazing little surprise waterfalls, which were along the Hwy and we think were formed from rain water running off the rocks. 
They weren't there when we drove along this stretch of hwy yesterday. 

Little baby waterfalls....can you even?  Oh my heart.  I'm dying.  I'm dead.





Supper...round two...was a success!  Since I've known him, Vince has talked about the lobster rolls that he used to get out east in Maine, the summer that he worked at a youth camp while he was in college.  They were apparently so amazing that he has been reluctant to try them anywhere else.  (He's kind of a lobster roll snob).  But I do understand, because there is no grilled salmon or fresh mango in the midwest that can ever compare to what I've had in Hawaii.  But, after convincing him that it's all about expectations and no, this will NOT be as good as the ones in Maine but you can enjoy them anyway...we stopped at the Bluefin Grille and brought one back to our room, 

and...



Score!  He loved it.

Now here it is, the third evening of our trip and it is just as wonderful as the first.  While my husband stokes the fire, pours me a glass of wine, and rubs my feet in this beautiful place I am reminded of just how wonderful he is, and how blessed we both are to be living this amazing, incredible love story.  One memory at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment