Monday, September 17, 2018

Coming home

It's been a bit of a stormy day today.  It started out warm, probably the last hot day of the year because after today it is supposed to be in the 60's and 70's, which is just the way I like it!  By mid afternoon it got pretty dark and thunderstormy.  Luckily it let up just as I was leaving work.  I needed to stop at Shopko for a few necessities and just as I was walking to my car the rain picked up again.  Sometimes I get lucky like that :)

After supper I opened windows and was pleasantly surprised by how much the rain had cooled things off...it's down-right cold out now!  So on with the sweatshirt, slippers and blanket.  My favorite time of year has arrived :)

This was our Macers on Friday night...I LOVE it when she curls up and puts her paw over her nose, all baby.  She has really mellowed into a lovable, sweet dog.  Every morning she is happy, and every time we walk in the door, even if we only go out to the garage for 10 seconds, she is excited to see us :)


Saturday I went to Radiant Church for a Beth Moore Simulcast!  It's been a while since I did anything with women's ministry and I have really missed it.

It was time.


Just walking through the door made me feel like I was coming home.  I have missed it.  This is/was my church home for 17 years.  These past two years that we've been going to Pleasant Valley have been an adjustment.  It's a wonderful church - they both are.  But PV is much bigger and that takes some getting used to.  For a long time we felt kind of anonymous there.  Nobody really noticed if we were there or not, or so it seemed.


I had some serious homesick feelings on Saturday...so many friends, true friends that I hadn't seen since the last women's event that I attended shared warm hugs and "I miss you's".   Walking through the lobby, into the bathroom and past the library and the offices and kitchen.  I know every room.  I know what's in the cupboards in the kitchen.  It's still home to me.


I began praying for God to make a way for us to return, if that is where He wants us to be.  I knew how my heart was feeling, but it's not just about me.  Kyle and Hope have connections at PV, they are the reason we switched churches.  They were very involved in the youth group there, and when your highschoolers are engaged and excited about church...you listen.  You make that a priority over your own nostalgic feelings.  We only have so many years with them.


And then there's Jaden...our sweet grandson!  He loves kids church at PV, and we need to make it a priority to get him there regularly.


There were moments on Saturday that I just about broke out in tears...it felt so wonderful just to be there, with my sisters in Christ, worshipping and sensing the presence of God so strong in that room full of believing women.  Some obviously struggling, being hugged and prayed for and encouraged. I walked away feeling hopeful and loved and refreshed.


Sunday morning, Mr. Wonderful and I shared breakfast at Bonnie Raes before church.  I was already praying as I was getting ready, feeling like the things Beth Moore was teaching about yesterday were just too good to be true.

We are the bride of Christ.

I am beloved to Jesus.

He loves us with an everlasting, unfathomable love.

It's too good to be true, God.

I mean, I know it's true because Your Word says it is.

Sometimes my heart just can't comprehend, or dare I say believe it.  This is why the disciples said to Jesus, "I believe, Lord.  Help me with my unbelief."  That makes sense to me now!  Help me believe with my whole self...mind, heart and soul.


(Just look at that face...he really is as sweet as he looks!) 

My prayers were answered once we got to PV on Sunday morning... after chatting with a friend about an upcoming ministry gathering she is coordinating, which led to a conversation about how much we are loved by Jesus (she wasn't at the simulcast yesterday...coincidence?  I THINK NOT!  There He goes, again :)

The prayer I am referring to is "where do we belong"?

It didn't take long for us to feel affirmed that we are where God wants us to be.  We both love it here.  God may lead us back to Radiant some day, but for now this is our church home.  And the cool thing about church is that it's not the building, or the programs, or the music, or even the pastor that makes it a church.  The church is made up of believers, and even if we attend different buildings and listen to different pastors, we all belong to the family of God.


1 comment: