Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I am Martha

Yep. I think I've turned into a Martha. If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about (I know, no surprise there) I'll explain.

Luke 10:38-42. As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" (can't you just hear the whine in her voice?) "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

I love Martha. I think she's hilarious. She's a worry wart and kind of anal about stuff. She shows up again in scripture when Jesus arrives after her brother Lazarus had died. Jesus told someone to move the stone away from his tomb. Everyone was standing there with great anticipation, knowing they would see a miracle, and Martha pipes up and says "But Lord...by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days." (John 11:39). Here was Jesus, about to raise the dead, one of the greatest miracles there is, and Martha is thinking "uh boy, this is gonna stink. I know He is God in the flesh, Creator of the universe, and He can raise the dead and everything, but what in the world is He gonna do about that smell???"

Distracted. Missing the point. I can so relate! I have been running on overdrive since before Christmas...and not really going anywhere. Spinning my wheels. I've been staying up too late worrying about the laundry, the dishes, the toys on the floor, bills to be paid...tired, overwhelmed, discouraged. I feel like God is telling me today "Whoa! Slow down Martha! You are worried and upset about many things. Take a lesson from Mary here. Rest. Listen to Me. I will refresh you".

How many times have I felt like there just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done. Being a single parent is hard! The house, the car, the yard, the kids, groceries, laundry, cleaning, dishes...they all scream at me from the moment I get home from work until I crawl into bed at night (much too late most nights). There just isn't enough time in the day to get everything done that needs to be. Or is there??

I heard on the radio the other day that there is enough time in each day to get done the things that GOD has called me to do for that day. I had to stop and really ponder that one. Are you saying that God hasn't called me to worry about how everything will get done? He hasn't called me to have a perfectly clean house? Yep, that's right.

Jesus said, as recorded in Matthew 6:25-34, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own".

Mary had it right. I need to lay down my worries and take the opportunity each day to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to Him. Nothing I could ever accomplish in a day is more important than that. You're welcome to join me, but watch your step. I haven't picked up all the legos off the floor just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment