Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Eat. Move. Rest. Pray.

It's been a week of learning for me,  a lot of praying, and a little crying (mostly because of This is Us....my gosh I haven't cried so much over a TV show since Parenthood).

On Thursday, I met my friend Shannon at Caribou!  We've been friends for years, but it's been many moons since we have actually gotten together.  Whenever we would run into each other somewhere we would always say "let's get coffee!".  And so...we finally did and it was so great :)


We spent a couple hours sipping coffees, catching up on each other's lives, and sharing our health journeys.  Without telling too much of her story (it's hers to tell and she's more than happy to share it!) I will say that she has made some incredible changes to her health and has inspired me in a big way!  God has a way of making things happen at the just right time, and getting together with Shannon was definitely a God thing :)  

So, I was pretty excited about my "Half-Brained Healthy Life Plan" last week when I wrote about it.  To be honest, I thought it would be relatively easy.  I drink water all day long, I love vegetables, we have an awesome new workout room, and I had already made changes to my sleep habits for several months now.  Going to bed by 9-9:30pm and setting my alarm for 6am has been working great for me...until the last week or so.  Our dog Macey has been whining at night and despite trying many things (moving her kennel closer to our room, fluffing up her bed, giving her treats, putting on a fan for white noise) we can't figure out HOW TO MAKE IT STOP.  

We don't get it. She has slept in her kennel most nights of her life.  She loves her kennel...seriously, she does.  It's her den.  She usually goes back there on her own before we even go to bed and has never had a problem, until she was sick a couple weekends ago.  She's better now, but still wakes up at night and thus wakes US up with her whining.  Ugh.  It's almost like having a newborn again.

So...I've been tired. And when I'm tired, life is hard.  And when life is hard, I want to eat. And when I'm tired I don't want to work out.  Kinda like if you give a mouse a....dang it, now I want cookies.

I have made some good choices this past week though...let's focus on those, shall we?  

I've been bringing this snack to work everyday.  The picture makes it look huge, but I promise it's a normal sized apple.


And this has become our favorite evening snack.


Salmon patty and peas for my lunch on Sunday....one of my fav's!


Journaling the other morning, I had an epiphany.  My devotional reading was about (another God thing) cravings.  We were made to crave closeness with God, but too often we try to fill that craving with other things.  Things that never truly satisfy.  Food has been my biggest craving all my life.  And as soon as I try to limit what I eat, the cravings go crazy and in that regard, this week has been no different than any other time I have tried to get healthy.

Except this time I prayed for God to show me what to do.  I asked Him to show me how to live, and eat, and move, and rest.  And as I wrote out that prayer in my journal, there it was in my own hand writing...my answer.


Eat. Move. Rest. Pray.

Simple.  Sustainable.  Not always easy, but I can do hard things.  

I CAN DO HARD THINGS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment