Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rambling...

This is going to be a ramble, so consider yourself warned, fasten your seatbelt and hold on! 

Vince and I are watching "Undercover Boss".  Have you seen this?  It's a new show (at least I think it is - I don't watch much tv so if this show has been on for decades already, it's new for me so I'm excited!)  It's about CEO's of  companies who go undercover and work in their own stores to see what it's like to be one of their own employees.  This has gotten me to thinking...what if we could change lives with someone for a day?  Whose life would you want to understand better?

Oh, man...Igor the delivery driver for 7-Eleven was just given a free vacation with his wife to a resort!  Awesome!

Here are the people I would want to change lives with for a day:

1)  Each one of our kids.  I want to know what they are thinking, feeling, dreaming...what makes them insecure, what are they hiding from me, what are they afraid to tell me?  Where is their faith really at?  How can I love them better?

2)  Someone from Haiti.  What does it feel like to lose everything?  To be homeless and have no posessions...to have to rely completely on the charity of people I don't even know to rebuild a future that I can't see right now.  I think it would be very humbling.  We take so much for granted in our lives, don't we?

3)  Beth Moore.  I don't idolize her, or any other celebrity.  I know they are just regular people like us.  But she has an intimacy with the Lord, and a joy that I don't have yet.  I want to know how she prays, how she thinks and lives her life everyday.  How she stays so intimate with God so that she can receive the divine inspiration to write and encourage so many people. 

4)  Someone who has lost 100 lbs and has achieved their ideal weight and maintained it for a while.  I need to get healthy.  Seriously.  I need to lose alot, and I need to know that I can do it!  And how!  And if I lived for a day in a really healthy body, it would be so inspiring.  I think I've gotten used to being uncomfortable and I don't want to stay this way.

Speaking of that, I have made a couple decisions regarding my health.  I have heard some nasty things about "high fructose corn syrup" and the horrible things it does to your body, including contributing to diabetes.  Whether it's true or not, I'm choosing to believe it and cut it out of my diet.  And so consequently is my family, since I do most of the grocery shopping :)  Well, actually Vince and I shop together quite often, but it shouldn't be too hard to put the kibosh on things I don't want put in the cart. :)  I discovered Saturday that it's not that easy to find things without "hfcs".  I had to get an off brand of yogurt because all the name brands have it.  And granola bars?  Nada - those remained on the shelf.  It's ok, my homemade ones are so much better anyday.  One more thing...I'm not going to be consuming aspartame either.  So that means no pop for me!  We are going to focus more on natural foods and less processed foods.  Uh boy.  Change is hard for me!  Prayers are very, very welcome!

That's 'nuff rambling for tonight.  Except for this...Mr. Wonderful made me the most awesome iced coffee today!  I 've been sipping on it since this afternoon.  It sooo beats Starbucks (gasp, did I just say that?)  The caffeine was a welcome addition to my day, now I just really hope I can sleep tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I am in love with this new (yes, it IS new) show too!

    As far as your health goes, congrats! My advice (wait, you didn't ask for my advice?) would be to set small goals for yourself and cutting out yucky stuff like HFCS and aspartame is a great way to start. A few tips...Kashi granola bars do not have HFCS. There are plenty of other drinks without apartame too -I like fizzy waters made with Splenda and Diet Rite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie :) I meant to mention Kashi bars - I love them! The kids won't eat them tho. I've been buying the kids cheapo granola bars for years, thinking they were healthy. They love the ones I make, which are made with sweetened condensed milk which is just milk and sugar. The rest is all raw ingredients and they are eaten up so fast there is no need for preservatives. I'll stick with my Kashi bars tho - yum!

    ReplyDelete