Friday, April 16, 2010

All I need is.....more children!

Well, I jumped!

I've officially begun advertising for my new adventure!  I have put out some flyers, started telling people and asking for referrals, and generally getting the word out.  We live in a small town - a really small town (think Grumpy Old Men) so word of mouth is really all that anyone needs to get something going.  Case in point...whenever anyone asks me where we live, all I have to say is that we live in "The Miller's old house", and they know exactly what I'm talking about.  "Oh yes, the blue house with the cute little barky dog".   Yep, that would be us.

I have an ad going into our town newsletter (we have a newsletter that is delivered to our door every month - I told you it's a small town).  And Mr. Wonderful has created a website for me too!  Isn't that wonderfully techy of him?  It would have been finished days ago, except for the fact that I keep changing my mind about what I want on it.  I know, shocker.  He's being ever so patient with me about that, which I very much appreciate.  (Really, hon, I do!) 

Here is my logo for the flyer and the website:



(All kinds of
important stuff
is in this area
here)


I have flyers hanging in the bank and the cafe downtown, attracting lots of attention I'm sure.  Crowds of people must be forming by now - pushing eachother out of the way, standing on their tippy toes just trying to get a peek at my flyer, right?!  My parent handbook with all my policies and info is finally written (no more running to the computer every 3.5 minutes to make a change) and my contract is done too.  I've developed a filing system for all the business paperwork (there is much more than I ever thought there would be), we've had the house inspected by the fire marshal and a visit by the licensing lady from the county.  All is good, but we have a little work to do.  We have to put lattice around our deck (something about small children falling through the slats) and the storage area under the basement steps needs to be sheetrocked, which Vince is already in the process of doing.  So, my clean and organized basement is now cluttered with "stuff" that had to be pulled out of it's cozy little home under the stairs, and now our basement looks like this:


Hmmph.  Thankfully I already had everything neatly packed from my home organization frenzy of the past few months, before Vince had to dig it all back out to put sheet rock in.  I can't imagine what a mess it would be if I hadn't done that.  (Actually I can.)  Have you ever had an urgent feeling that you need to get some type of project done RIGHT NOW, but you don't really know what the urgency is, you just know that you need to get it done?  Well, that's how I felt about our storage area under the steps a few months ago.  I just had to get it done.  Didn't know why, I just knew that I did.  Now I do know why...God is always planning ahead.  I'm so glad I listened! 

And then there's the family room downstairs.  We are converting that into a play and classroom area, and it is accumulating kid stuff already.  We have had lots of wonderful things given to us (including a Little Tykes play house & slide for the backyard!  Yes!)  Our kids are willing to share some of their toys, and I've started frequenting Goodwill and other consignment shops looking for fun and educational toys 'n things.  It's really been fun for me, especially to see some of the toys that my boys used to have and all the memories of them playing with these toys (that I used to own but am now re-buying for the daycare, don't get me started thinking about that).
 

So.....I guess this is REALLY HAPPENING!  Right?  It's happening, right?  Now all I need are some children.

3 comments:

  1. What a delightful and uplifting blog. I really enjoyed reading the posts. God's blessing to you. Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. sqUARE!!!! squares are EVERYWHERE!!! Can you find them? Ev-ry-where..you look you find a sqUARE!!!!!
    You are gonna ROCK!!!!!
    -Kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that this venture will be blessed!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete